Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Self-Publishing in 2011

As I was falling asleep last night, I had an idea about what to do with this blog: Detail my self-publishing plan for the next year and keep it updated. 

When I finished the first draft of Monarch in November and began doing a little research, it became clear that self-publishing my novel may be the  best way to go.

Here's why: Much of the book centers around the counting down to the end of the Mayan Sacred Calendar on 12/21/2012, and I need to get it out there once, not before, but once it is ready.  This means my time-sensitive novel will be strapped for time (I couldn't help myself), if I hope to get it to a market place that might find it of interest.

In doing my research I found that traditional publishing models currently take about one year - from the time you sign a contract to actually getting your book out in print.  I heard that and was horrified, that means there would be less than a year of having the book out on the market before December of 2012.  (No, no, no, we don't like that at all.)  Then I read up on both the success and horror stories of self-publishing.  There are an ever-increasing number of writers who are making a dent in the marketplace, and there are also endless lists of books that have been skewered for their lack of quality.  So, let's keep improving, shall we?  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/boyd-morrison/my-publishing-journey-fro_b_614788.html

I first heard of a Kindle when my friend's daughter was reading on her favorite Christmas present last year. I remember saying, still unsure if I would be able to, but knowing that I was planning to write my first novel the next year, "Maybe you'll read me on there someday."

Here we are one year later. The market for e-books is at a place that is growing so fast I, or anyone in a similar situation, must stop and think about self-publishing.  And I mean stop, and take account of what it will require to find any sort of success.  The market is waiting, but the work must be put in.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/45451-new-survey-on-e-book-trends.html
 
-aap

No comments: