Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Questions in 2013 and a New Approach

When I set out to release Monarch, I had to ask myself a lot of questions.  While there are questions today that still need be asked, it was those first questions that shaped the story and original release of Monarch.  Why the hell did I want to write the story? was certainly one of the first.  As I've stated before, it was because I had to.  Another question I asked was, why write in a woman's POV?  The answer to that is a little more complex.

When I came up with the story structure for Monarch in 2010, I knew that Cipher had to also be told within the same pages.  Cipher's main character is Ted Parker, a young man with a lot on his mind.  Believe me, I thought about having another young man as the main character to relate to Ted.  It just seemed like too much testosterone.  I felt the story needed both ying and yang. The decision was clear from the start that there needed to be a female counterpart to Ted Parker.

This turned out to be an instance where my being a low-rent, self-published writer was actually a benefit.  My work as a bartender, sales associate and even as a laborer allowed me to interact with all kinds of people.  Because these jobs varied so much, I was also able to speak with them when they were in different states of mind: uptight, relaxed, and everywhere in between.  My countless hours spent in coffee shops didn't hurt either.  "People Watching" is a broad term that I use to describe the process by which I gather info.  While certainly not a science, it is an invaluable learning tool that I am grateful to have at my disposal.

One of the biggest decisions I had to make in regard to Monarch was its release.  In retrospect, my decision to release Monarch in four separate stages was a very good idea.  The smaller publishing goals kept me on track.

Had I released Monarch all at once there would have been no way for anyone to realistically finish reading the story, just as Ginger, the main character of Monarch, was trying to finish reading Cipher, before 12/21/2012.

I laid down a challenge to a reader that I hope some people took up, completing Monarch before that day.  If not, well at least I delivered it with time to spare for you to do so.   Albeit, I did cut it very close--13 days to be precise.  

The release dates of the four stages were as such:
-Stage One -12/22/11
-Stage Two - 5/31/12
-Stage Three - 9/22/12 (1st half) and 10/1/12 (2nd half)
-Stage Four - 11/10/12 (1st 3/4) and 12/08/12 (last 1/4, entire eBook release and paperback)

The goal was to give a reader enough time to finish before 12/21/12.  If a reader kept up with each subsequent stage's release, they had just enough time to complete the book before the 21st.  They say you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink if he does not want to.  It was evident in the days leading up to the 21st that most people were disdainfully dismissing the day out of some kind of spite.  Surely there will psychological papers to come out during 2013 about that day and its effect on people.

Now that 2012 has come and gone my marketing of Monarch has changed.   I tried to write the story in a way that it maintains its relevance beyond 2012.  While those who took the ride with Ginger during 2012 experienced it in a way that cannot be experienced again, there are messages in the story that extend to any generation.  Fear of growing old and dying are not unique to merely Ginger Reed and her experiences around the end of 2012.  While many people may feel her fears over 12/21/12 were silly or unwarranted, she was not alone.  There may come a day that we all face our own personal 12/21/12, or as I have grown found of calling it "The Psychological Apocalypse."  What is important is how we deal with it.

A recent question in the ether relating to Monarch:  Why do a limited-time release of the Collector's Item Paperback Books?

Answer: A Paperback was released for those who took the journey along with Ginger and myself in the lead up to 12/21/2012.  In addition, because I literally put myself on the clock to have the book completed in time for a reader to take the journey along with Ginger, I knew there were likely to be a few mistakes made along the way.  And so the paperback will be removed from sale by the end of the day today.

Don't worry, though.  The Monarch eBook will remain available until I release the 2nd Edition of Monarch later in the year.  There is no definitive date for that just yet.  I will also be pulling all the other stages from sale as eBooks, except for Stage One (EGG), which shall remain available for free for anyone to read.

I will keep you posted on the release of the Second Edition Paperback.

If you have any questions that you would like answered, please let me know.  I would be glad to answer them.  You can contact me here, or at the Monarch facebook page or by email at aaronpitters@monarchthenovel.com

-aap

No comments: