Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Holiday Writing Prep for 2023



By this time next week, I will be releasing the last three episodes of House Fly on Kindle Vella and I starting to think of my other projects. Over the next three weeks, I will hone my Writing Plans for 2023. Life tends to happen and those goals can slip away. Yet, they are good to set for oneself. And I am hopeful for the next year.

As of today, there will be a heavy mix of literary and script work for the next 12 months. Let's start with the Lit work. There are at the minimum three projects I need to address.

1) House Fly Part Two, which I will either release first as House Fly II on Kindle Vella (depending on the reception to House Fly) or I may just release as the novel Harold and the House Fly as an ebook and paperback book. The goal is to have both available by the end of 2023.

2) I have a number of new projects in mind for the new year. Several of them could be either a novella or a novel. I think I will leave the new series ideas I have to be written as either a TV series or Mini-series. Therefore, I do plan to write at least one new novel or novella in 2023.

3) The reason I am reluctant to write another big novel series is because of the one I have been working on for years. When the pandemic hit, I was in TV series mode and shelved the novel series in hope of returning to it this year. Things came up this Spring and I had to postpone my return to the Hollywood Hills.

This series is comprised of two parts. Part One needs a rewrite and could be ready to go by the end of 2023. However, I may hold off until 2024 to focus on the release of Harold and the House Fly. This also makes sense because I am 35,000 words into Part Two, roughly halfway through the first draft. Rewriting Part One and completing the first draft of Part Two in 2024 seems a good goal.


As far as Screenwriting, I have been banging on about four projects to pitch for two years now. It is no longer the same four stories, but the number I have been focused on has stayed the same -- 4. In 2023, I have plans for those four projects and at least one other project, possibly two.

1) The Four TV Series. While I have four to pitch, I will likely focus on two of them, to begin with. As Spring moves along I may incorporate one of the others. Or I may hold those two back to pitch in September. That was my plan for this year, but, again, things came up this Spring and pushed much of my plans for the year back several months.

I need to take the next step as far as screenwriting. This all started long ago and I have been content enough to just write and test the waters without really maintaining a sustained professional approach in trying to get my written work properly produced. Hopefully, I have learned enough lessons through the years and will make smart, calculated moves going forward that will lead to the production of one or more of the stories I have to offer.

2) As far as new stories, I am at a point where I have about a dozen or more stories I could sit down and start writing at any time. Yet, I am no longer a 24-year-old novice with time to cut his teeth writing whatever comes into my head. Movies are no longer king. TV rules. And Tik-Tokers make millions for dance routines or other two-minute distractions. I am not keen on making short films again. My dance moves were never that cool anyway.

There is one new story that has my head twisted into a pretzel in a good way. It came about this Summer as a result of assisting my uncle. It is a decades-spanning series that weaves together the past and present in a way that is meant to be inspiring. The initial idea was simple, but the longer I worked on the world build the more I realized how complicated the tale actually is. Once I get some free time, I will first return to the world build on this story. With the objective of completing the pilot before Summer.

3) With so many new stories in the pipeline, I may be more likely to write a second new screenplay as opposed to a second new novel next year. That opens up the potential for writing a new movie script because a few of the story ideas I am most attracted to are stand-alone stories.


To sum it up, as of today, as far as Literary work, I expect to release part two of House Fly by the end of next year, rewrite part one of another novel series, complete part two of that same series, and begin work on at least one new project. As far as Screenwriting work, I expect to begin querying with at least two TV series this Spring (possibly adding two other TV series to the mix by September), I'll write the pilot for the project I came up with last Summer, and the plan is to write one or possibly two more scripts (one TV series and/or possibly a movie script) by the end of 2023. This last bit is probably the most subject to change to allow for flexibility. 

Need to use my free time better in the New Year, if I am to write at least one new book and script on top of the other writing needed to complete House Fly and Part Two of the Novel series.

I'll readdress this after the New Year, but for now, this seems like a good enough set of writing goals for 2023. Let's get to work!

No comments: