Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

The steps we take define us

It's hard to believe that in having spent over three decades on this earth, I still consider fictitious things just as interesting and as important as real life; maybe it's because of my roots in performing and the love I have for make-believe; maybe it’s because life is not always easy and creating realities similar yet different from this one is a great means of keeping my sanity; or, maybe I should just get out more. 

Nevertheless, I consider myself very fortunate to be doing what I am doing today.  The times we live in are unbelievably eventful; and there is such a rich history to dig into for today’s storytellers that I hope to be bringing you new tales for as long as I am able.  But, for me, none of this would be possible if I hadn’t made some tough decisions over the years, decisions that put me in the position to be doing what I am doing today.  I won’t go into detail and bore you all to tears – I’ll leave that for a memoir some twenty years from now.   

So let’s move on to where we left off last week:  Possibly trying to publish something shorter before taking the leap with the first part of Monarch.  I agree with Acacia that it could be a very good means of testing the process.  But I don’t want to take away too much time from Monarch either.  The whole reason I chose to write this novel was because of “time.”  I had this ten-year-old screenplay in Cipher, a story that, at the time of writing it, seemed to parallel my own life as I dealt with the passing of my father.  A strange time filled with perceived coincidences and rapid change in the world.  It was a labor of love that I couldn’t just let slip into obscurity.  I wanted desperately to do something with it, but by 2009 I realized there wasn’t enough time before 2012 to get it made into the movie that it deserved to be.  It meant so much to me that I made it mean so much to, Ginger Reed, my main character in Monarch.  And with less than two years till “that” day, I intend to get this story into people’s hands as soon as possible. 

I’m not saying that I won't try and get something a bit shorter out there before part one of Monarch, it’s just that my priority is to the novel.  If I can share time between them both, then maybe it will happen.  Ideally, I’d like to e-publish not only the novel and a short story but also my screenplay Garage Sale.  It was the story that spawned the short story, In the Wake of Newton, which is the same short story that I may try and e-publish sooner rather than later. 

Garage Sale is best described by its logline:   When several foolish customers at a Garage Sale up in the Hollywood Hills attempt to cheat the mysterious homeowners running it, they each meet a fate appropriate to their actions in this horrifying, multi-chaptered thriller.  

I haven’t really written a logline for ITWON, but it is probably best described as the creation story for all the goodies that wind up at that particular garage sale.   I wrote ITWON because I felt the opening to Garage Sale was too abrupt, and much of what happens in the screenplay seemed almost unjustified; and I wrote it as a short story because I wasn’t sure, at the time, if I even wanted to write screenplays anymore. Granted, I may need to make it adhere to the screenplay format at some point, but I’m not worried about that now. 

I don’t want to get anybody’s hopes up to high and then not be able to deliver this all to you by year’s end, but e-publishing a short story, a screenplay and a novel are my goal.  And I pledge to do my best not to let you or myself down.  Now, I got to get to work.  Until next week… thanks for reading.

-aap

No comments: