Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday Opening finally here?

I might have surmised with the original Hangover opening on a Wednesday Night, and having such good fortune, that they would release The Hangover Part II in the same manner.  And they are intending to do just that.  Yet, there is also another film releasing tonight at 12:01:  Kung Fu Panda 2.

Not a big fan of most sequels, reboots and remakes, I had hoped some other film(s) might have grabbed the mantle for first film(s) released on a Wednesday this year. First, I thought it might be Sucker Punch, which turned out to be a dud.  Then there was Thor, which was apparently too soft to take the throne.  Both fell short.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is the surprise here.  Its original was a kid flick that adults also liked, while The Hangover was an adult film that kids had to sneak in to see.  These two films will duke it out this weekend for top spot at the box office, likely raking in 100s of millions of dollars each.

I may even go see one of them tonight, probably The Hangover II; but neither of these films are what I am truly waiting to see.  That would be Super 8.  Abrams and Spielberg = GOLD. Think about it: Spielberg is starting to get up there in years, and who better to take his place as best American director than J.J.?  I know some people will argue about me calling Spielberg the best American director, but who else comes to mind when you think of the overall face of American Cinema for the past forty years.  Their career paths are very similar too.  Both started out in Television and then moved on to Film with great success.

So, until Super8 finally gets here, I guess I'll have to settle for some gut-busting hilarity from Zach, Ed and Brad.  While neither film is a bad choice for the first Wednesday Night release this year, I just wish it wasn't so painfully obvious that sequels and franchises are held in higher regard than original works.  I mean... I've already seen these films - I've moved on,  and these sequels are not likely to be better than the originals.  Just saying.


-aap

No comments: