Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

March Update


While it is not officially Spring, it sure is beginning to feel like it here in Atlanta. We've had such a mild winter that I fear we may bypass Spring altogether and jump right into Summer temperatures.

Enough about the weather.  Let's get down to the nuts and bolts of the year, namely the progress of my first novel Monarch.  Some of you may be aware that I have been working on the book for just shy of two years -- since July of 2010 to be precise.  It's been a tumultuous time of ups and downs.  If I were to do it again, would I do things differently?  Umm... I find it better to not dwell on such things, but rather to learn from what has transpired and use that knowledge as I move forward.

The most trying part of being a first-time novelist is getting people to take an interest in what you are trying to accomplish and actually get them to read your work.  That was the whole reason I wanted to broaden my horizons from screenwriting to the writing of novels, because next to no one reads screenplays.  And what is the point of creating something from thin air, which is intended to be read and seen by others, if only a few dozen people ever lay eyes on it? 

Let's just say I've had to attribute most of the work I did in the 2000s to training for novel writing.  I wrote a variety of stories spanning numerous genres during that decade, more than a dozen in total.  There are differences of course in how a novel is written as compared to a screenplay.  Big differences.  I worked to bridge that gap by studying the craft of writing fiction for years and penning numerous short stories all the way up to July of 2010.  The most recent, Psykosis, may actually windup being my follow up to Monarch.                                                    

To see something in your mind so clearly that you conceive of a way to bring it into reality, and then actually attempt to do so, can seem a fool's errand to others.  However, being a writer or artist of any kind you must get use to the idea that everyone will not get on board with what you are wanting to do -- and the sooner the better, because it is certain with such a wide variety of tastes and opinions in this world that once you are finished all your hard work may not be enjoyed by everyone.  C'est la vie!  You can't please all the people.  We just have to do the best job we can and try to deliver what we at first set out to do when that initial spark of inspiration set the whole thing in motion.  

Aside from the emboldening of artists I have actually been hard at work since the release of Stage One of Monarch back in December.  I take a break now from the work of preparing Stages Two - Four so that I might keep you all abreast of the progress.  The trickiest part of writing this first novel has not been the writing of it.  No.  It is the time constraints that go with the subject matter I chose: a suburban housewife dealing with her fears of uncertainty about what might actually happen on the fast-approaching day of 12/21/2012 and how it will affect Ginger Reed, her family and the rest of the world.  But that was part of the reason I began writing this story in the first place.  

I had seen or heard of the "what if" books relating to that day pimped about for almost a decade, but I had yet to see a story that dealt with the human element in relation to the fears and hopes that those books evoked.  That was the story I had to write, that I have to get out before December.  And I am pleased to say that progress is good. Stage Two is with my Editor.  I am working diligently on touching up Stage Three.  I recently met with my Illustrator and he is making great progress as well.

It is my hope to release both Stage Two and Stage Three before the Fourth of July.  That way a reader will have all summer to read the first three stages before Stage Four is released in the fall, just in time before 12/21/2012 gets here.  It's going to be a mad dash for you, me and Ginger Reed over these next nine months, I hope you'll join us as we get ever closer to that much-maligned day of uncertainty in December.

On Monday the 19th I will be utilizing my last day under Amazon's KDP exclusivity to offer all four stages of Monarch for FREE for the last time.  Simply go HERE next Monday from 12 am -11:59 pm and sign in to Amazon and download the book for free.  Stage One is already available and you will receive email updates when the new stages are made available.  I hope you enjoy it.  

Should you like what you read, I sure would appreciate you saying so with a rating of the book on the same Amazon page or even writing a review.  I can also suggest other websites that are a good place to meet other readers: Shelfari and Goodreads.  Shelfari is associated with Amazon and you can log in with your Amazon ID.  Goodreads is a rapidly growing meeting place for fellow readers to share their interest in reading.  I highly recommend both websites.   

Lastly, on next Tuesday the 20th of March I will be announcing the release date of Stage Two.

Have Happy St. Patrick’s Day and thanks for reading.

-Aaron  



2 comments:

Laurean Brooks said...

Hang in there, Aaron. Give your struggles and questions to God and keep writing. It took me 2 1/2 years to complete my first novel "Journey To Forgiveness." It ended at 300 pages.

I submitted to and eBook publisher and was forced to make lots of cuts and revisions to convert it from a women's fiction to a romance. After cutting the first three chapters (to make the hero and heroine to meet on the first two pages, then adding 9 more scenes where they meet), they finally accepted it.

My two biggest disappointments were when they told me "I" had to do the promoting, and when I got my first quarterly royalty check, a whopping $25, LOL. As far as promotion, I didn't want to do it. I want to write! "Let someone else do that." But it doesn't work that way. I've heard it said, "Becoming a successful writer is 10% writing and 90% promotion."

My biggest mistake was not seeking out a major publisher. But...even now I submit shorter stories between 10,000 and 30,000 words, as eBooks to keep my muse stirred and get (and keep) my name out there until I finish my current full length which I WILL submit to a major publisher.

You can't make much money if the company doesn't place your books in stores. I did a dozen book signings the first year, but the only one where I sold over 10, was in my hometown at the alumni banquet signing. I sold 42 copies in two afternoons, plus 20 to my church members.

I know God wants me to write. I've struggled with, "Is this really what I'm suppose to do?" and "Do I really want to throw my all into my writing?" It took a while but I now know the answer is a resounding, YES!

This means sacrifice of time when I'd rather be somewhere in the social scene. Instead I work on online promos and writing. Sad to say, I spent 10 times more time promoting and was spent when I finally had time to write.

Now I cut out two hours per day, 5 or 6 days per week, to write, regardless of waiting laundry and other household chores.

Aaron, if this if where God wants you, He will make a way. Just hang with Him. I can't tell you how many miracles He performed to get this book on the market. Times when it looked impossible.

Author/ Screenwriter said...

Laurean,

Thank you so much for your kind words of inspiration. It is nice to know that I am not the only writer who has faced struggles along the road to publication. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

-Aaron