Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Homestretch

It's the Hap-happiest time of the year.  Just before midnight last evening I uploaded the first half of the final stage of Monarch (Monarch:Butterfly). The conclusion of Monarch, the final piece of my four-part eBook series, will be made available on 12/08/2012.  It will coincide with the release of the Limited Paperback Edition of Monarch.  

I have been looking forward to this day for a very long time.  When I first wrote about this particular day back in July of 2010 it was just a day like any other.  I had my extensive outline, my first round of research completed and had this rapidly swirling concept of time in mind - this vortex or cipher, if you will - around the day 12/21/2012.  It was my quintessential opening day, the one I chose to introduce the world to my main character Ginger Reed.       

If you haven't met her, you're missing out.  A casual observer might come to the conclusion that she's an attractive soccer mom who lives in the suburbs with her wonderful family.  That observer would be correct, because that is the very image that Ginger has tried to maintain.  However, her fears over what might happen on 12/21/2012 will take her to the edge of sanity.

You should know that I wrote this story for one single reason: I had to.  I had to write it because I wanted there to be something out there about 12/21/2012 that I would actually want to read myself.  This book contains all the aspects I like in the books I currently choose to read: Mystery, Drama, Psychological, Apocalypse and Fantasy.

Mystery - If I don't have questions, then I'm not interested.

Drama - As a former actor I needed emotions to make my point, and without emotional motivations for every action a story can lose focus.

Psychological - If I'm not actively thinking about more than the physical surroundings my characters are involved with, what is the point?  "Smithers, massage my brain," Mr. Burns (The Simpsons)

Apocalypse - If I was going to write a 700 page novel about the lead up to 12/21/2012, it had to have the Apocalypse.  I cannot even tell you how much fun I had developing Stage Three.

Fantasy - I am a big fan of fantasy.  Tolkien and King were two of my greatest influences for this book.  The book Ginger feels she has to finish reading prior to 12/21/2012, Cipher, was a screenplay I wrote back in 1999.  That screenplay was a slow-cooked apocalyptic fantasy with a Middle Earth feel.

I could go on and on about influences and genres that this story touches on, and that motivated me to write it in the first place.  That is for another day.  Today is about entering that 42-day cipher surrounding 12/21/2012, as if we have been pulled into the gravitational stranglehold of the giant black hole at the center of the Milky Way.




Ginger Reed is feeling the pull of time, are you?

Finish the journey on 12/08/2012 via eBook or with your Limited Paperback Edition.

-aap

No comments: