Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

All At Once





I love Time Bandits. A TV series based on the movie is coming out tomorrow on AppleTV, which I didn't realize until I started looking for the GIF. Hope it's not what caused AppleTV to essentially shut down. Anyway, I love the original. So, what does this have to do with anything? 

Today, I got up early and went to the store for a few things. That was when I saw an odd wreck. Some guy ran his car over a curb, between two poles, through a flower bed, and into the stone wall/ sign for an apartment complex. 


Went right between two poles and smashed right into the wall, which you can see in the picture cracked upon impact. The guy was talking to the cops. I'm guessing one of his flip-flops got stuck and he couldn't stop or he was intoxicated. A peculiar accident to see at the beginning of the day. 

When I got home I took out the trash. As I was putting a new liner in the can, a story idea came to me. Ideas sometimes develop over days, weeks, or months. This one came all at once. I normally don't Tweet about ideas, but this one was one of those amazing ones that comes almost fully developed. 


Is it too late to be thinking in terms of Classic Hollywood? 

For a decade, with the rise of streaming, I rarely thought in terms of movies, but stories just decide on their own what they want to be. This story is either an anthology movie, a mini-series, or a holodeck experience.

A what?

By the time I get around to actually writing this story Gen AI tools may make it possible. Nothing wrong with thinking ahead. If this is to be a new frontier we are entering, and it sure seems like it, then we need to think beyond what has been possible up until now. A holodeck or a truly amazing immersive video game-like XR headset experience are what seem the most likely next big steps.

As a storyteller of fictional worlds, I have long wondered what it would be like to tell stories in a gaming format. The worldbuilding on my recent TV series got me thinking about the creation of a gaming world. This was before the era of AI started last year. 

Again, I write a lot of anthologies. I do this because I have a lot of stories brewing at any given time. Most of which have been on the backburners for years. One has been sitting there on simmer for 2 decades. It too is an anthology tale but on the grandest of scales; it feels like the time has to be right, like I have to earn the privilege of writing that story. And I haven't yet. 

Many of the other stories that are waiting their turn upon the stage are stand-alone stories. As time passes while I am working on other projects, these stories will sometimes magically coalesce into something greater than their parts. An Anthology is born. What once could have been three to upwards of a dozen or more, otherwise stand-alone, stories come together like a pod of killer whales ready for whatever the ocean might bring. 

Good grief, I'm mixing metaphors here. What it means is there are certain tales within the fictional world of my current TV series that a gamer may want to explore, especially one of the three interwoven stories in the first season. The same could be said for this new idea I'm so excited about, but also the one that's been sitting on the back burner for 20 years. 

Today's new story harkens back to the early 2000s once again. An era my mind gravitates towards. So many of my beliefs about the world were carved during that period. It was a time when I started to think more like a writer and less like an actor. The new millennium began with so much drama, much more than any of us could have expected. This is likely why the first decade of the 21st century so deeply resonates with me. 

The reason this new story idea triggers my recollection of that time is because it has similarities to both Monarch and Psykosis. The Monarch similarities are because of the story Cipher, which actually echoes back to the 90s when I was studying philosophy and poetry. Therefore, this new story echoes back to those days when I was kicking around Hollywood and Los Feliz. 

Why do so many of these stories always seem to be anthology-type tales? I am not sure I can pin that down. With this current idea, could it be a movie? Yes, of course. Could it be a series? 100%. It really is a collection of stories that make up one story. Sound familiar? An anthology. 

The TV series I am creating a trailer for is the same. However, this new story might be better served as a movie. In fact, even though there are a ton of storylines it might be better to put it all into this one overarching story. I think people will relate to it. A full series might dilute the multi-story potency if not done right, but a mini-series might be another option. I've been surprised by how many movies I once wrote have evolved into miniseries. The specific nature of this new story's overall tale makes it perfect for a future holodeck expedition or a video game. It will be very personal.

The stories I have been comparing it to since this morning are all movies. If it were to be a series, I think it would be better as a limited series than one with multiple seasons. The multiple-story aspect would likely be better served in a more contained format (a movie or a handful of episodes) instead of a sprawling 8 to 14-episode season.

I will probably develop it as a movie and expand if needed depending on how it feels once completed. 

And that's kind of how these things develop. An Idea pops and the next thing you know you're making plans on how to write it. I keep wondering if I will have a normal story idea stir my soul like this one day. But then what is a normal story? A Norman Rockwell painting comes to mind. Hallmark movies and Romantic Comedies too. I'm not sure any of that is normal anymore nearly a quarter of the way into the 21st century.

Nowadays, everything seems to be perceived through a superhero filter, but that's not normal. Normalcy is no longer one view of the world. The most normal story I created over the past decade was not received well. My writing partner thought it was boring, and then I used up one of my last contacts from my time in California with it as well. I thought it was something that it wasn't or had a hard time making it come across. I can't help but think it was too much like an episode in a telenovela. Which was too bad because it was meant to tie into the Monarch universe. Oh well. We go again. 

Okay, it's time to get back to working on the Trailer for the TV series. Need to get some traction on that by the end of the week. I finished the script over the weekend and started working on visuals yesterday. 


I probably should have paid for unlimited generations when I signed up for Runway Gen-3 at the beginning of the month. That way I could just keep generating and generating without concerns for running out of tokens. However, by having spent most of the month focused on getting the script for the trailer right I have also been reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of the model based on the outputs of others. 

We'll see how this week and next week go. Apparently Kling will become available worldwide very soon. I have been reluctant to jump through hoops to get access. It's a Chinese company which gives me a bit of pause but it was the technical hoops I would have to jump through just to use it that has really kept me from using it so far. 

If I can achieve all I want with the trailer using Gen-3, Luma, and Hedra then I will. But Kling may be better than all of those models. We'll see in just over a week what I've got and go from there. And I can't help but wonder if all my new ideas will be geared toward a holodeck or a cinematic videogame. Thanks for reading. 

No comments: