Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Eve of November

There are only a handful of days before Halloween and November.  That is important for me to note for two reasons.

First, two movies I have been wanting to see release this weekend:  In Time, the futuristic thriller starring Justin Timberlake, and Take Shelter, the psychological everyman movie starring Michael Shannon.  The later of the two is in the same vein as Monarch, with Curtis (Michael Shannon) and Ginger both negatively affecting their families by obsessing over his and her beliefs in the possible End of the World. 

The negative reviews In Time is receiving may cause me to postpone viewing it until it comes out on DVD or On Demand.  We'll see.  But Take Shelter has been sitting on a shelf since last year.  I had hoped they would release it then, yet that didn't happen.  The producers of the movie likely felt going up against The King's Speech was a bad idea and pushed it to now.  Just a guess.  Still, I can't wait to see it. 
 
Second, there are only two weeks until the Atlanta Writers Conference.  I recently received the last of three rounds of notes from my editor for Egg (the first stage of Monarch).  Over the past month, I have been tweaking and tinkering with her suggestions.  By the 11th of November, the story will be polished and ready to go to the conference.  

This month did not start out on a positive note; I had to move the release of Egg until December.  I felt horrible for having to make the change, but it was the right thing to do.  I'm a SPA (self-publishing author).  My goal from the time I started writing this story was to self-publish an e-Book through Amazon.  If nothing comes out of the conference, no worries.  I will continue per the plan.  However, there is a minute chance to make an impact at the conference.

The month and a half after the conference should allow for one more round of editing by an outside source.  Depending on how the conference goes, the editor either will be of my choosing or suggested to me.  This "not knowing" what will happen next is just part of the ride of being an unknown SPA.  Like being on a roller coaster, you cheer when it's up and hang on when it comes roaring down.

Here comes November... wheeeee!!!

-aap

No comments: