Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

New Lease On Life (Stage Four Release Date Announcement)


In my last post I detailed the negative of the past two years.  A habit that I seem to have fallen into over the past year.  Doom and Gloom do not make the heart grow fonder.  At times over these past two years it has felt like I've been on a train that has come off the tracks.  The unconventional way I have gone about things for much of my life has led me to feel like that on more than one or two occasions.

I was asked recently Do you have any regrets?

I've made more than a couple poor decisions in my life, so I had to think about the question for a moment. After I eliminated a few choices, I told this person that my decision to leave California was probably my biggest regret.  While living in Georgia has kept me close to my family, I miss the artistic community and culture of Los Angeles.  Don't get me wrong, I love Georgia.  And my time in LA was a love/ hate relationship.   In the twelve years I have been back in Georgia there have been moments where I felt that I was part of an artistic environment.  However, those moments were because I either paid to be a part of it, or had to give so much of myself that those moments were of my own invention.

LA and the ATL are two different worlds.

My time in LA was about my attempts to start an acting career.  When I left I was tired of the scene, but I thought I would be back.  Life happened and that return was indefinitely postponed.  It's funny to think about it in context with what i am doing now.  I was planning to do research on Cipher when I left LA so that I might write my first big screenplay.  The world seemed to pave the way for me, making my path back East as easy as could be.   

What's funny is how much more difficult things have been while working on Monarch--the story that finally delivers a version of Cipher to the public.  Like many journeys, things start off with a clear picture of where one is going and the path is free of obstacles.  The longer that journey lasts, and the closer one gets to the end, obstacles inevitably seem to pop up, altering the course or changing the journey altogether.

It was not my intention back in 2000 to write Monarch.  The story and the characters had not even been imagined yet.  It took the writing of twenty screenplays and several short stories, not to mention taking numerous writing classes, attending several seminars and devoting years to writing groups, to gather enough confidence to try and tackle a novel.

I must confess that while all of the above was extremely helpful, my most influential experience over the past decade was people watching.  People watching is an invaluable tool for writers.  If you can't pick things up about people, there is no point in trying to write a story that involves them.

Like in real life, my characters are amalgamate of their environment, their surroundings. They are also made up of large portions of myself.  I could go through just about every character I've ever written and find a piece of myself in them.

With the end nearly in site...

Since I released Stage Two I've had to begin thinking about what happens after the release of Monarch.  For two years it was my beacon and I followed it without question.  The two J's, June and July, have been tough months.  I feared putting the cart before the horse by planning too far ahead, losing track of the last two stages and their need for release over the next few months.

The picture is beginning to clear.

I spent a week this Spring doing something I have not done in over a decade.  I worked on the set of a TV production. The pilot for "Revolution" to be precise.  The same show that premieres Monday, September 17th on NBC.  I wanted to work on the show for two reasons. 1) Jon Favreau was directing, and I wanted to see how he goes about his business behind the camera.  2) The show deals with a post apocalyptic theme.  

It was a blast to watch John work, and the cast and crew were amazing.  Although, if I never have to run around in another pair of laced up sandals it will be too soon.  The fact that there are tiny similarities to Monarch, especially stage three, made the whole experience one of the highlights of my year so far. 

I had been waiting to hear when the premiere date would be for "Revolution."   Finding out this week helped me decide when I should release stage three of Monarch (Chrysalis).  Releasing stage three around the "Revolution" premiere sounds like a good idea.  The bad thing is that I still have to deal with the Amazon update delay for those who have purchased Monarch (the four-part version that requires an Amazon update).  It took an unbelievably long time for stage two to go out, and I've had to take the four-part version of Monarch, except from Smashwords, off the market until stage four is released to eliminate problems with updates. 

While I cannot give a definitive release date for Stage Three, because of Amazon, I will say that it will be available for sale before September 22nd, the official end of summer and beginning of fall.  

As for stage four, I have worked to make Monarch available as soon as possible.  Things have not always gone according to plan, and they may again change.  However, it turns out that things often work out just as they are supposed to.  Monarch and the fourth installment, Butterfly, will release on November 10, 2012.  That is the same day Ginger steps into the downtown bookstore at the opening of Monarch. If you took advantage of my releasing the book in four stages, you will only have the final leg of Ginger's journey to go.  If you wanted to wait to begin reading until the whole book was complete. No worries.  You can read Monarch just as Ginger reads Cipher in the lead up to 12/21/2012.  Either way, you're in for a calamitous and redemptive journey.

-aap


No comments: